Coder Merlin Discourse

What do you think of cancel culture? (W1399B)

Cancel culture is, at least hypothetically, the idea that people should be shunned for ideas or actions that others find disagreeable. I have mixed feelings about this idea so what do you guys think about cancel culture?

2 Likes

Cancel culture is one of the worst things to come out of the internet. It is a very toxic practice that ruins people’s careers and hurts others. While yes, they may have done some pretty bad stuff, that isn’t the point. The aggression of “cancelling” someone is what the problem of cancel culture is. If a passive approach was taken to cancel culture, it wouldn’t be the problem it is. What is even worse, is how people dig up all sorts of things and every bad thing they can. It’s almost like people don’t understand that others can change their behavior and attitude. Not only that, other times it is over stupid reasons and random accusations that haven’t been confirmed, and the person still receives a huge amount of damage. It’s perfectly ok to dislike someone or not support them, but to ruin their whole career over something from 2012 is rather ignorant. Overall cancel culture is a ignorant, toxic, dumb practice that yields no good at all in most cases.

4 Likes

I hate cancel culture. I do not know who started it but it is so dumb. How are so many sheep of people coming together and canceling the weirdest companies and shows? How they cancel everyone’s favorite maple syrup and one of the dogs from a cartoon? Also, they are trying to cancel a mummy. How can these sheep come together for this but not help out real issues?

2 Likes

I have mixed feelings about cancel culture as well. Yes, I do think people should be held accountable for their past, but the members of cancel culture tend to take it too far. In my opinion, a celebrity shouldn’t get “canceled” for the words they’ve said in the past, because most people genuinely do change. On the other hand, there are many “social influencers” that definitely should not have that title. While cancel culture does go extremely overboard with unnecessary “cancelling” most of the time, there are some instances where they do good, like de-platforming predators who had a lot of social power.

1 Like

I think cancel culture is very toxic and it can ruin people’s lives. I also think that
cancel cultureis overly abused to the point where people get cancelled over the dumbest of th
ings. For example, current NBA player, Donte Divincenzo received backlash after quoting a Meek
Mill song on twitter back when he was a middle schooler because the quote happened to have th
e N-word. That being said, cancel culture can sometimes be useful, as seen when Disney star Sk
ai Jackson got cancelled after being caught trying to dox kids for quoting memes. So overall,
while cancel culture is in general, very toxic, it can sometimes be helpful by ruining the liv
es of those who really deserve it.

2 Likes

I think that cancel culture in and of itself is a dangerous and toxic practice, being able to ruin careers and destroy opportunity’s for many people who have followings on social media. That being said, I believe that choosing not to watch someone because of something they said or did is not cancel culture, rather trying to force other people to not watch or support them is. Trying to get rid of cancel culture does not mean that you can’t have negative views on someone, everyone is entitled to their opinion and can choose whether or not to support somebody.

2 Likes

I think that cancel culture is a bad idea and overused most of the time. Most of the time that cancel culture is used, it is used on people that made did one wrong thing. I think that people should not be totally judged by one mistake, especially if that mistake was made years before. I believe in showing mercy to people and understanding that overtime people can change.

1 Like

I don’t really have any particular feelings when it comes to cancel culture. I know that there are many celebrities that have been scrutinized for what they’ve said in the past. Everything we say online nowadays will be there forever so our generation has to be much more disciplined and mindful of what we say than any other generation ever had to. I don’t think that anybody should be “canceled” for one or two mistakes/bad comments they made as a young person. If the person has a history of such behavior, I can see why it would be reasonable to question the integrity of the person.

I don’t really like cancel culture. It has lead to a huge problem with toxicity towards a bunch of unnecessary conflicts. Most of the time, people get “cancelled” over the smallest things. There are some instances where it can be justified but for the most part, cancel culture is just an annoying thing that has come from this generation.

1 Like

I believe cancel culture is one of the most toxic parts of todays society. I believe this because while sometimes these riots might be necessary very often uninvolved people are caught in the crossfire. This generation has a lot of great ideas but this one in my opinion is a terrible and unnecessary evil that itself needs to be canceled.

1 Like

I think cancel culture was originally created for good intentions, like holding people accountable for their mistakes. But now I feel like people have been using cancel culture to cancel someone for the littlest things, like something that happened 10 years ago. Also I feel like cancel culture is very selective, and many people who should get cancelled aren’t.

1 Like

Cancel culture is extremely toxic and not healthy. Most of the time people are being cancelled for dumb things that they did 10 years ago. While some of them may be bad i do not believe we should ruin someones lives for it unless it is literally a crime that they committed.

Cancel culture is one of the unnecessary and toxic things that we have created. Some people always need to get their way, but they need to understand that people have different opinions. Instead of cancelling people, they should try to educate the person in the wrong on why it is offense, if it even was. Not liking someone is fine, but going out of your way to get them fired, expelled from school, etc. is unnecessary. In the end, the person being cancelled will not change their opinion, and this aggressive approach wont solve anything.

Cancel culture is not a good thing. The second anyone does anything slightly wrong they are “cancelled” and it takes a lot to get them back to where they were before, if they ever get there. Cancel culture is also horrible about helping people change and repent for their actions, because they don’t get a chance to before the internet cancells them

1 Like

Nothing good. Just guilty 'till proven innocent.

I think Cancel culture has good intentions, but very bad execution. I agree that people should be held accountable for what they have said, but it gets to a point where that person that said something wrong is a different person now. If I said something racist now I don’t think people should get mad at me 20 years into the future because I was younger and dumber.

i think cancel has some good and bad parts. The idea of cancel culture would be considered good because you’re canceling things that are bad, but cancel culture is often used to ruin the lives of normal people or people who made small mistakes once creating a toxic following behind cancel culture